Sunday, March 9, 2008

Whales!

I was driving down a beautiful coast that will remain anonymous, and I was thinking about whales. For two years all I've heard about is winter whales. "When do they get here?" I asked. "Oh, around January or February," everyone says. But much as with the case of sharks, locals seem to see them everywhere and I never see them. I started doubting the whole existance of the species. Are we supposed to go purely on the word of French marine explorer Jacque Cousteau and a bunch of stoners?

But then as I was circling a curve on the anonymous coast, out of the corner of my eye I saw two giant flukes, then a huge splash. I almost crashed my car. Then there was some spouting. And every time I've driven that road in the past week, I've seen whales. Every frikkin time!

So they exist, despite humanity's best efforts. You can take my word for it.

No comments: